BridgeBio Gene Therapy, a subsidiary of BridgeBio Pharma, is focused on discovering and developing drugs for patients with grievous genetic diseases. We do this by:
Finding the right starting points to target diseases at their source.
Using a combination of a systematic assessment of the genetic disease landscape and informed diligence on the latest research, we find indications with clear mechanisms of pathogenesis that are ripe for translation into disease-modifying drugs.
Building products with world-class R&D personnel.
We employ industry-leading scientists that work closely with leading academics to prosecute a wide variety of drug programs at the highest level of scientific rigor. Our team combines biopharmaceutical veterans with up-and-coming leaders to drive entrepreneurial thinking grounded by experience.
BridgeBio finds, develops, and delivers breakthrough medicines for genetic diseases. The company bridges remarkable advancements in genetic science with the entrepreneurial engine required to rapidly create lifesaving medicines for patients with unmet needs. Founded in 2015 by a team of industry veterans, the company has built a portfolio of 20 transformative drugs ranging from pre-clinical to late-stage development in multiple therapeutic areas, including genetic dermatology, oncology, cardiology, neurology, endocrinology, renal disease, and ophthalmology. The company’s focus on scientific excellence and rapid execution aims to translate today’s discoveries into tomorrow’s medicines. We have offices in San Francisco, Palo Alto, Boston, New York, and Raleigh with small satellites in other parts of the country.
To learn more, visit us at https://bridgebio.com
Who You Are
The Senior Associate Scientist/Scientist I of Mass Spectrometry and Analytical Development is an essential member of the CMC Analytical team and is responsible for executing assay development and characterization activities relating to the mass spectrometry analysis of rAAV-based gene therapy candidates to enable their cGMP production and release. This individual will work in partnership with the Non-Clinical Development, and Upstream/Downstream Process/Formulation Development functions to deliver clinical testing products and serve as a technical expert on mass spectrometry and other analytical assays in communications with internal stakeholders and external partners.
- Characterization of AAV adeno-associated viruses with LC/MS and/or LC-MS/MS to determine intact mass and protein sequence. Also, identify post-translational modifications such as deamidation, oxidation, and glycosylation.
- Contribute to the designing and execution of experiments for qualitative and quantitative mass spectrometry characterization of recombinant AAV-based gene therapy candidates
- Develop quantitative assays to determine levels of small molecules, proteins, and peptides in complex matrices such as bodily tissue, plasma, and serum
- Calibrate and maintain mass spectrometry equipment, including a QExactive mass spectrometer and Vanquish Liquid Chromatography system
- Supports process optimization during CMC development by generating timely analytical test results regarding the quality attributes of the in-process materials
- Perform routine sample testing activities and ensure timely turnaround
- Author study protocols, characterization reports, and development reports
- Present results to colleagues, management, and external partners when necessary
- Ensure all experimental procedures and documentation are compliant with the highest quality and regulatory standards
- Develop work plans and prioritize work according to program needs to make sure timelines are met
Education, Experience & Skills Requirements
- MS with 2+ years post-graduate experience or Ph.D. degree in virology, molecular biology, biochemistry, or analytical chemistry; Strong laboratory skills are a must
- The ideal candidate will have relevant knowledge in the field of mass spectrometry for characterization and QC release of AAV gene therapy vectors or other relevant biologics
- Development of LC-MS and LC-MS/MS-based methods including intact mass, protein-peptide mapping, post-translational modifications, glycan analysis, and S-S linkage mapping
- Experience with the quantitative analysis of small molecules, proteins, and peptides in complex matrices such as bodily tissue, plasma, and serum
- Experience with sample preparation techniques as protein precipitation and solid-phase/liquid-liquid extraction
- The incumbent will additionally be expected to exhibit understanding and working knowledge with some of the following analytical methods for protein characterization: HPLC/UPLC (reversed-phase, size exclusion, ion exchange), capillary electrophoresis, gel electrophoresis (CE and cIEF), UV/Vis, analytical ultra-centrifugation, mass spectrometry, and particle size analysis
- Proficiency and knowledge of typical mass spectrometry software such as Chromeleon, XCalibur, Skyline, Biopharma Finder, MASCOT, Protein Discoverer, and other database search engine tools
- Knowledge of and Experience with statistical analysis and Design of Experiment (DOE) methodology for assay development is preferred
- The incumbent should be a detail-oriented self-starter and be able to work independently under limited supervision and effectively communicate results/conclusions to peers and management
- The qualified candidate must be a team player that can effectively partner with diverse team members from various functions
- The level will be commensurate with experience
What We Offer
- Patient Days, where we are fortunate enough to learn more about the lives we are looking to impact and a real exchange of ideas as to how we can improve our efforts
- A culture inspired by our values: put patients first; think independently, be radically transparent; every minute counts, and let the science speak
- Learning and development training to help employees be the best version of themselves
- Collaborative business environment
- Excellent compensation package (Base, Performance Bonus, Stock, RSU programs)
- Excellent benefits package
- Flexible PTO
- With office locations in San Francisco, Boston, New York, and Raleigh, there are ample cross-collaboration opportunities with other BridgeBio Pharma programs
- A fast-paced, data-driven, work environment with world-class R&D minds and capabilities
- Work with the most productive groups of R&D operators in the industry
- Partnerships with leading institutions
- A platform for meaningful scientific contributions to shine
- Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion – with initiatives like Women at Bridge, we are committed to fostering an inclusive environment where every person feels respected for who they are, empowered to contribute, inspired to lead, and supported in their efforts to do so