BridgeBio finds, develops, and delivers breakthrough medicines for genetic diseases. The company bridges remarkable advancements in genetic science with the entrepreneurial engine required to rapidly create lifesaving medicines for patients with unmet needs. Founded in 2015 by a team of industry veterans, the company has built a portfolio of 20 transformative drugs ranging from pre-clinical to late-stage development in multiple therapeutic areas including genetic dermatology, oncology, cardiology, neurology, endocrinology, renal disease, and ophthalmology. The company’s focus on scientific excellence and rapid execution aims to translate today’s discoveries into tomorrow’s medicines. We have offices in San Francisco, Palo Alto, Boston, New York, and Raleigh, with small satellites in other parts of the country.
To learn more, visit us at https://bridgebio.com
Who You Are:
The Computational Genetics team is seeking a full-time Data Engineer to build and maintain systems that extract biological insights from medical and genetic data leveraging methods and tools from multiple disciplines, including computational genetics, statistical inference, and machine learning. Besides the essential responsibilities, a senior-level engineer will be expected to drive the design of these systems.
The Computational Genetics Team at BridgeBio has three main goals:
1. Support data-driven scientific decision making for the Business Development Team in considering novel opportunities
2. Provide on-demand data science and bioinformatics support to 20+ affiliates of BridgeBio.
3. Develop a computational target discovery pipeline for internal novel drug development.
To this end, the team designs, develops, maintains, and operates software tools and data processing systems to analyze human genetic and oncology data and produces reports to intra-company stakeholders
- Implement custom data engineering solutions, including developing ETL pipelines and infrastructure for new data sources, aggregating data from multiple sources, and integrating new data sources with existing internal data and infrastructure
- Implement custom data science solutions, including statistical modeling and interfaces for reproducible analyses and visualizations
- Interact with both technical and non-technical collaborators, including biologists, physicians, geneticists, and business development and asset acquisition specialists
- Familiarity with bioinformatics methods of human population genetics and cancer genomics
- Stay current with state-of-the-art methods, which may require reading academic papers, reproducing algorithms and techniques with or without open-source software and data, and transforming research-quality code into production-grade systems
- Design data infrastructure components, including presenting such designs to the team and other stakeholders, collaboratively iterating on the strategies, and making cost estimates based on usage patterns
- Research and summarize the benefits and drawbacks of external data solutions, including educating team members and other stakeholders, establishing and maintaining relationships with data solution vendors, and discovering the trade-offs by reading between the lines
Education, Experience & Skills Requirements:
- At least intermediate-level Python, which includes: developing stand-alone libraries, developing pipelines of scripts and command-line tools, knowledge of at least one testing suit
- Version control with git, which includes using branches locally, resolving merge conflicts locally, setting up and managing remote repositories (such as Github, Gitlab, Bitbucket), collaborating on remote repository: working with protected branches, submitting and resolving merge requests
- Familiarity with cloud computing platforms, including both storage and compute services
- Knowledge of relational databases
- Any experience with the following is a plus: Apache Spark, Databricks and/or Delta Lake, Docker and/or Kubernetes, CI/CD, R, Human genetic variant data, Hail tables
What We Offer:
- Patient Days, where we are fortunate enough to learn more about the lives we are looking to impact and a real exchange of ideas as to how we can improve our efforts
- A culture inspired by our values: put patients first; think independently, be radically transparent; every minute counts, and let the science speak
- Learning and development training to help employees be the best version of themselves
- Collaborative business environment
- Excellent compensation package (Base, Performance Bonus, Stock, RSU programs)
- Excellent benefits package
- Flexible PTO
- With office locations in San Francisco, Boston, New York, and Raleigh, there are ample cross-collaboration opportunities with other BridgeBio Pharma programs
- A fast-paced, data-driven, work environment with world-class R&D minds and capabilities
- Work with the most productive groups of R&D operators in the industry
- Partnerships with leading institutions
- A platform for meaningful scientific contributions to shine
- Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion – with initiatives like Women at Bridge, we are committed to fostering an inclusive environment where every person feels respected for who they are, empowered to contribute, inspired to lead, and supported in their efforts to do so
We will not accept unsolicited resumes from agencies. Please do not send agency resumes to our website or BridgeBio and affiliating employees.